Q & A with Mark Bolger
Mark Bolger has established a fine relationship with Barry O’Connell this season and they have been enjoying some good winners so far. We catch up with Mark for a quick Q & A ahead of the opening National Hunt meeting at Naas this Saturday.
- You been enjoying a good season so far, how did the partnership with O’Connell come about?
It was through garret cotter who mentioned that Barry was looking for someone. I met up with Barry in February and have been riding out for him since.
- Did you always want to be a jockey? When did you start riding?
No, I was a late starter, I didn’t sit on a horse until I was 14. Soccer was my main hobby when I was young.
- Growing up, who was your sporting hero?
I loved soccer so I would have to say Roy Keane.
- What sparked your love of racing?
My older brother Colin was a jockey in England so it was through him I took an interest in racing too.
- What was it like to ride in your first race?
Riding in my first race was a very surreal, and a great buzz.
- Describe the feeling of riding your first winner?
I remember I couldn’t believe that I’d actually ridden a winner. I was only 17 at the time.
- What is your most memorable racing moment?
My most memorable racing moment would have to be riding Keppols Queen to win a grade 3 hurdle at Leopardstown for Jessica Harrington.
- What is your favorite racecourse?
- If you weren’t a jockey what would you be?
If I wasn’t a jockey, I would have loved to been a professional soccer player.
- If you could win any race what would you pick?
It’s hard to pick just one! I would love to win any race at the Cheltenham Festival.
- If you could ride one horse, what would it be?
I would love to have a go on Altoir!