A Heart to Hartes with Ronan Kinsella
We popped down to The Dew Drop this week to catch up with Co-Director of The Hartes Group, Ronan Kinsella. Find out more about The Hartes Group and what they do in our Q & A with him below.
1) The Hartes Group is only a name we have heard recently can you tell us who The Hartes Group are?
The Hartes Group is a hospitality entity consisting of our Artisan Grocer and café called Firecastle in Kildare Town along with three award winning local gastropubs Hartes of Kildare, The Dew Drop Inn & Brewhouse and The Ballymore Inn.
2) We are delighted to have The Hartes Group on board this year, what made you decide Naas Racecourse was the right fit for you?
Due to the centralised location we felt our pubs were superbly located to collaborate with Naas Racecourse. All the pubs are located within 15 minutes of the race course and we like to think our clientele bases are similar. People who appreciate a great experience.
3) Are you a racing fan yourself?
Personally, I’m from Wexford and grew up surrounded by GAA but since moving to Kildare 20 years ago I have learned to really appreciate the race day magic.
4) We have heard you are the man behind the Dew Drop Brewhouse Beers, what brought you from bar owner to brewer?
That’s a long story. Running restaurants and bars is a passion, and having studied science in college and serving beer for 25 years in pubs, it was to be my next challenge, to produce a top quality local beer to rival the big boys. We brewed our first beer on site in Kill in 2019 and haven't looked back since.
5) Of your own range of beers which one is your favourite & why?
My personal favourite is the one that started it all ‘96 Oatmeal Pale Ale. Originally brewed in 2016 to commemorate Wexfords 1996 All Ireland Hurling win (as I am from Wexford and GAA mad) it has become a local classic. Loved by so many people it really is a classic Hoppy Pale Ale.
6) What is next for the Dew Drop Brewhouse?
Well we hope to just continue to brew exceptional beer. That’s the mission. There may have to be an expansion plan in the not too distant future as we are quickly outgrowing our current facility, but let's wait & see
7) You added the renowned Ballymore Inn to your portfolio last year do you plan to add more venues in the future?
We are an ambitious group and always on the lookout for potential ventures, but we are also cautious and in the current climate wont rush things. Ballymore was an amazing place to acquire and it has a great tradition. We hope to do it justice over the next number of years.
8) Lastly its been an absolutely great week for the Dew Drop Inn & Brewhouse and The Hartes group - Your Helles Lager shortlisted for a Blas Na hEireann award and then winning the Gastro Bar of The Year for 2023 at the Bar of the Year Awards! You must be over the moon?
Yeah its been an amazing few days. We were thrilled to win the Gastro Bar of The Year award, we have an amazing team who work tirelessly week in and week out so its great for them to get the recognition! I am just delighted to have one of our beers shortlisted in such prestigious food and beverage producers awards as the Blas na hEeireann, finals are in September in Dingle so we will be keeping everything crossed for a win!